Monday, January 19, 2009

It's Electric


If you've read some of my previous blogs, I LOVE cars. Anything about cars and car related stuff. So to continue my Foodland movie rentals, I had to see this film.

I have a love/hate feeling about electric cars. I love the idea: simple, clean, cheap. However there's one big problem for me...how do I recharge the damn thing. I live in an apartment. I park my car in a parking not. No plugs. But I live in Hawaii... In Cali, they had put in recharging stations and made a big push to have them around but because of a fear of loss in profits from a number of people (Oil and Auto Companies for example) they trashed the idea.

In it's replacement they have Fuel Cells. I am a huge supporter of Hydrogen. The thing about Fuel Cell cars, that I agree with Top Gear (BBC) on, is that it's not much different from the current car of today. I drive it, I need fuel, I go to a station and fill it up. I don't have to wait 16 hours to fill the tank. (For those who wish to check out the Top Gear episode, it was season 12 episode 7 aired Dec. 14 2008) However the documentary makes a few good points as well, and I know my science enough to understand. Hydrogen is very expensive to make. Currently it uses more electricity to make hydrogen then if you were to just have an EV or even a gas car.

To plug my brothers company (H2 Technologies), he's working on making it cheaper and easier to produce Hydrogen. They even got an old Suzuki Sidekick to run off hydrogen. Just as there are people working to make EVs more efficient and viable, there are people out there doing the same for hydrogen and I still feel that hydrogen is going to be the energy of the future. Honda, the ball is in your court. Don't drop the FCX like the EV.

No comments: